Every marketer needs to know how many people check their email, what customers they need to focus on, and how many customers reach the desired link. Hence, the marketers use Email open rate and click-through rate to know this information.
What is an Email Open Rate?
Email open rate is the proportion of people checking (opening) the email sent by individuals or companies. It shows how many subscribers are viewing the emails sent in an email campaign.
What is a Click Through Rate?
Click-through rate is the proportion of people (subscribers) who click on the particular link out of the total users who view the email, advertisements, or webpage.
Affecting factors and Preferable percentage
Both Email open rate and Click-through rate help to build an audience base and reach maximum people. However, many factors can impact these rates, like the presentation of content, images, keywords, relevant information, and many others.
These factors can lead to the conversion of your email to sales. If ignored, then they can lead to the loss of prospective customers.
The average email open rate is 17.80%, and the average click-through rate is 1.91% for search ads and 0.35% for display ads. These rates act as a standard measure to know that the company will succeed or fail in the future. The higher rate will determine success, and the lower rate will determine failure. Nevertheless, the company can work on their content and improve the rate to be successful.
The percentage of email open rate that is considered good is between 15-20%. The preferable percentage of click-through rate is approximately 2.5%.
These rates may differ depending on the purpose of different companies or individuals.
Measuring the rates
Basic mathematics formula for calculating these rates:-
1. Take the number of people who have opened your email.
2. Divide by the number of people who have received your email.
3. Then multiply with 100.
The same formula is followed to find click-through rate, i.e., dividing the people who have opened the link in your email and the number of people who have received your email. Then multiply by 100.
For example:- If you had ten clicks on the link and it has reached 100 people, then the click-through rate would be 10%.
- Reaching Maximum People: Email open rate and click-through rate help the marketer to reach the maximum people. They get a fair idea about what content people like to see. In case the rate is low, then they can improve by using creative ideas in the emails.
- Improving Performance: These rates help to improve the overall performance of the marketers as they get to know what people are likely to read more, and thus they focus more on the relevant content.
- Saving Time: These rates save a lot of time for the marketers by targeting the right audience as they get the percentage of people who click the links and thus focusing more on them.
- High Conversion Rate: These rates can help in the conversion of sales as higher the percentage of people opening the email means higher the possibility of sales.
- Saving Cost: Emails are the cheapest way to build relationships with customers and attract them to buy the product. These rates will let the marketers plan and devote their time to valuable customers with the minimum cost.
Ways to increase the rate percentage
- Whitelist information: Within your email, you can write instructions to whitelist your email address so that people don't miss out on your email.
- Creative content: The content should be unique and should attract more and more customers, and by using creative content within your email, you can turn your emails into sales.
- Simple Language: The language of the text within your email should be easy to understand and informal so that people can relate with it.
- Precise: The content should be precise, and to the point, because long emails can be challenging to read, then you will lose the potential customers.
- Double opens: You can send your email again to the customers who haven't seen your email or missed it. It will help you to reach the customers and gain the chance for sales.
- Use of proper images and keywords: It is essential to use relevant photos as they can directly have a significant impact on the customers. Similarly, the right keywords are critical for the content to trigger a customer's mind.