Sending follow up emails can be a great way to make users feel important and keep them engaged.
You can send follow-ups on several occasions, and like other emails, they need to be relevant and valuable to the users.
So, what are the different kinds of follow-up emails, and how do you create an effective follow-up email?
In this guide, we will be discussing that.
Table of contents
What is follow-up email?
A follow-up email is used to ask or get users’ feedback after taking some action on your websites, like interacting with your products or services.
For example, when someone downloads our A Step-by-Step Guide to Improve Email Performance ebook, we send them a follow-up after 3 days asking for their feedback and giving them relevant content that they might like.
What kind of follow up emails can you send?
There is no definite follow-up email as it depends on your industry, your products or services, emails you sent, audience, etc.
But, the most widely sent follow-ups are:
1. Product follow up emails
You can send three different kinds of product follow-up, which are:
- Any product follow-up: Send a follow-up message after a customer purchases any product from your store.
- Category product follow-up: Send a follow-up message after a customer buys a product from a specific category.
- Specific product follow-up: Send a follow-up message after a customer buys a specific product from your store.
2. Free-trial follow-ups
If you are a SaaS brand like Mailmodo, then chances are you offer a free trial for users to check out your services. So, you can send follow-up emails during their free trial to ask about their experience so far and ask about any issues they might be facing. It will help you stay connected and ensure users get the best of your services.
Besides, after a user’s free trial is finished, you can send them a follow-up email getting their feedback and also promoting your paid services.
3. A first purchase follow-up email
You can send a thank you or appreciation email when users make their first purchase with your brand.
4. Event follow-ups
You can send them personalized emails reminding them about the event whenever users register for your events. After the event, follow-ups can be sent to ask for their feedback or any other query that they might have.
Use this post-event email sequence to nurture your event participants.
5. Follow-up based on user’s activity
Tracking how users interact with your emails and your brand can help you send relevant and timely follow-ups to nurture them.
For instance, when users interacted with your use cases page but didn’t take any action, then you can send them a follow-up email with informative content about how to use your product and add some testimonials.
Read to know how to track user's activity using email analytics and draw insights from user's data.
So, you now know what kind of follow-ups you can send, but how do you write a perfect follow-up email to get higher engagements?
Let’s discuss that.
How to write a perfect follow-up email?
Follow these tips to write a perfect follow-up email:
✅ Be crystal clear about the intent behind sending a follow-up email
The first thing you should define is why you are sending follow-up email?
Do you want users to move down the sales funnel by encouraging them to check out other services you offer, or do you just want their feedback? Setting clear goals will help you decide the tone and approach for your follow-ups.
✅ Write a clear subject line and preheader text
The email subject lines should clarify the intent behind your emails. Writing a compelling and clear subject line will make your intent clear. So, if you are sending a feedback survey, be straightforward about that in your subject line. Besides, you should also make your email preheader relevant to your subject line and email copy to get higher response rates.
✅ Keep your follow-up email relevant to the previous email
Here are a few ways you can add context in follow-ups and write a perfect email copy and design:
- Add references and social proofs to build connection and authority when you are sending cold emails follow-ups.
- Get right to the point. Don’t add too much information as it might overwhelm the reader.
- Use a friendly tone and make it personalized to build one-to-one communication.
- Be sure to add value for users’ time and not just send an email asking for their response. For example, you can add value by offering them informative content like ebooks, related blog posts, etc.
- Be very clear about the email design and email layout of your follow-up email.
✅ Be precise about call-to-action
So, you are nearly at the end of your follow-up email, but it is as crucial as the rest of your emails. Why? Because you must tell users what they should do. For that, use a compelling and clear call to action.
Here is what we recommend:
- Be very specific. Instead of a generic call to action, try to make it personalized and interesting. For example, rather than writing, “click here,” write “Unlock your 15% discount code.”
- Make it distinguishable from other email elements and place it in the most prominent and visible position.
Creating a perfect follow-up email might seem daunting, but we have inside tips to help you 😋 - Use email automation to send follow-ups.
How can automation improve your follow-up campaigns?
With automation, you can create a follow-up sequence that will automatically send emails triggered by users’ activities defined by you.
So, for instance, when someone signed up for a free demo session at Mailmodo, they receive an automated follow-up email saying - Thank you and a list of helpful and actionable resources to make their experience smoother.
What are the benefits of automating the follow-up journey?
Sending automated follow-ups can help you in the following ways:
- You will get higher engagement and conversions as users get highly targeted and relevant follow-ups at the right time.
- You will get a higher ROI from your email campaigns.
- You will connect more with users, which will help build trust and brand loyalty.
Automating can level up your follow-up email marketing campaigns if done right.
Send interactive follow-up emails with Mailmodo.
Want to level up your follow-up emails? Try out the AMP email by Mailmodo. With AMP email, you can reduce friction in the conversion as users can finish the action within the inbox.
How cool, right?
The easier and effortless you make your follow-ups, the better. AMP emails do just that.
So, try it out today!